As the end of summer approaches, it's time to welcome children home from camp and celebrate the last weeks before school together. As Tamar Fox shows us in her new book No Baths at Camp, coming home from summer camp can sometimes get a little tricky!
For a sneak peek at Max's troubles in No Baths at Camp, see the book trailer!
With that in mind, here are five tips for welcoming your child home from summer camp:
1. Remember, hopefully camp was a great and your child will be missing camp activities.
2. Your child will be missing his or her camp friends. If you're able, set up opportunities for them to meet up in person (if they live nearby) or on Skype.
3. Camp often provides lots of opportunities for children to sing together. Encourage your child to teach you one of their camp songs.
4. You child learned some new skills, perhaps a new swim stroke or how to play tennis. Create opportunities to practice these new skills.
5. Remember that Jewish summer camp is about creating Jewish memories - make time during the year to create as many Jewish memories with your family as you can.
A Q&A with author Tamar Fox!
What was your favorite book when you were a child?
The Bungling Ballerinas by Ellen Shire
Who are your top three favorite authors or illustrators?
Marjorie Priceman, MM Kaye, Marc Simont
Why did you want to become an author?
I love to tell stories, and to find out what stories live in other people's brains!
What are you most excited about promoting in your new book?
I'm excited to talk about all the fun things kids can do at camp, and outside with their friends, and all the fun ways that families can celebrate Shabbat together.
How do you hope your book will impact the Jewish life of a child?
I hope families will get excited about the ways that they can celebrate Shabbat, and the kids will get excited about the camping possibilities in their future.
What are you working on now?
Another children's book, this one about Purim. And an adult book about moving.
What are some fun facts about you?
I love polka dots and baking and reading out loud. I can name all 53 countries in Africa and stand on my head.
Find No Baths at Camp on the Kar-Ben website. Audio eBook available for your favorite device wherever eBooks are sold.